Hyatt Credit Card: Calendar Vs. Anniversary Year
The World of Hyatt (review) credit card is a card packed with benefits. The $95 annual fee card is worth keeping for ongoing perks, and it’s a card that may also be worth spending the money on, especially if you’re a Hyatt loyalist.
Some card benefits are based on the calendar year, while others are based on the anniversary year. In this article, I wanted to talk specifically about the difference between the two and the rules associated with different perks.
Calendar year vs anniversary year
Let me first make a general distinction between calendar years and anniversary years, as far as credit cards are concerned. Credit card issuers will offer certain benefits each calendar year, while they will offer other benefits each anniversary year.
What is the difference ?
- Benefits issued each calendar year would be awarded once between January 1 and December 31 of each year, regardless of when you opened the card
- Benefits issued each anniversary year would be granted once every 12 months coinciding with the time you opened the card; in other words, if you open a card on August 1, you can expect that to be around the start of your anniversary year
Understanding “Years” of Credit Card Benefits World of Hyatt
The World of Hyatt credit card offers the following benefits which are either expense related or year related (calendar or anniversary):
- Five elite qualifying nights each year
- Two Elite qualifying nights for every $5,000 spent
- A category 1-4 free night certificate each year
- An additional Category 1-4 Free Night Certificate when you spend $15,000 per year
Let’s see exactly how each of these benefits is assigned in relation to the calendar year or anniversary.
Five elite nights each calendar year
The World of Hyatt credit card provides five status-eligible eliminator nights each calendar year, which can make it easier to earn Globalist or Milestone Rewards status. This means that if you have the card now (August 2022) you will get five elite nights for 2022, then next year you will get five elite nights for 2023, etc.
The terms state that these credits will be posted within eight weeks of opening the card, and then within eight weeks of January 1 of each subsequent year. However, for the record, elite parties tend to post much faster than that.
Two elite nights for every $5,000 spent
The World of Hyatt credit card provides two additional qualifying nights for every $5,000 spent on the card. This benefit is in no way related to birthday or calendar year. That is, your expenses continue to meet this $5,000 requirement, regardless of your birthday year or calendar year.
In other words, if you were spending $4,900 in December 2022 and then spending $100 in January 2023, you’ll get those two elite nights in January once your statement closes. These credits typically show up a few days after the statement closing date when you meet the spend requirement, then elite nights are backdated to your statement closing date.
Depending on your elite status situation, it might be a good idea to be strategic about when you exceed that spend threshold.
One free night each anniversary year
One of the benefits that makes the World of Hyatt credit card the most attractive is that it offers a category 1 to 4 free night each year on the anniversary of your account.
The terms state that it may take up to 10 weeks after your account’s birthday for the free night to be posted, although in my experience it is posted shortly after your birthday statement closes . The certificate will be valid for one year from its issue.
This is in no way tied to the calendar year, but rather to the rolling 12 month period of your card membership year.
One free night for spending $15,000 each calendar year
One of the great incentives to spend money on the World of Hyatt credit card is that you get a second category 1-4 free night certificate if you spend at least $15,000 on the card in a calendar year.
Regardless of when your card is opened, it is based on your total spend between January 1 and December 31 of a given year. In other words, if you opened your card in August 2022, you could earn a free night reward for spending in 2022, one for spending in 2023, and so on.
You don’t have to wait for your account’s anniversary to get this certificate, but rather it should post to your account within weeks of the statement closing where you spent the money. The certificate will then be valid for one year from its issue.
What about the World of Hyatt Business credit card?
The World of Hyatt (review) business card was introduced in 2021. The $199 annual fee card also has the potential to be lucrative, although the card has an entirely different set of benefits. There isn’t as much connection between the calendar year and the anniversary year, although I thought I’d cover the basics:
- The card offers up to $100 in Hyatt credits per year, where when you spend $50 or more, you’ll receive a $50 statement credit, up to two times; this is entirely based on the anniversary year, not the calendar year
- The card offers five elite nights for every $10,000 spent on the card in a calendar year; unlike the personal card, the spend counter resets each calendar year, regardless of your progress towards the requirement
- When you spend $50,000 on the card in a calendar year, you will receive 10% of the points redeemed, up to 20,000 points; this only applies for the remainder of the calendar year in which you made the expenditure
At the end of the line
The World of Hyatt Credit Card and World of Hyatt Business Card offer great benefits, although I know some people are confused about the distinction between calendar year and anniversary year. Hopefully the above clarifies things, as cards have some variability when it comes to the timeframe with which boons are granted.